Students at Bentley University work and live on a traditional-feeling college campus, located just 9 miles from Boston in the suburb of Waltham, MA. Known for a unique focus on both business and the liberal arts, the school is worth a look for potential business students who also want to explore other academic interests.
Recognized by the Sierra Club as one of the nation's greenest campuses, the EPA also singled out the school for being a top purchaser of green power. Sustainability is at the heart of everything at Bentley, which created a strategic plan to reach carbon neutrality in 2010. Freshman are housed in one of three dorms, with apartments, suites and houses available for upperclassman; a full 80% of the total student body live on some sort of campus-managed housing. Bentley offers both co-ed and single sex floors, as well as gender-inclusive suites. Additional themed live/work options (called Defined Communities) exist in the areas of Social Justice, Arts, Wellness, Women's Leadership and Service Learning, to name a few. Dining options on campus are deemed average, but the suburban location and proximity to Boston offer plenty of alternatives.
While business is the main draw at Bentley, a full 50% of the curriculum is arts- and sciences-related. The first two years for all students requires a focus on general business courses as well as arts & science electives. Liberal Studies and Business Studies are two secondary majors offered to those students who wish to pursue double majors. With a 12-1 student to faculty ratio, students have great access to professors; Bentley students are also paired with mentors in their chosen fields of study. Internships are popular, with more than 60% of students completing at least two before graduation. And with 94% freshman retention and graduation rates, students seem very happy with life and studies at Bentley.
- 46% acceptance rate
- 4,689 full-time students
- Average SAT 1240; Average ACT 28
- Similar schools include: Babson, Bryant, BU and BC
- No class has more than 36 students
- 14% Greek, 60% male, 40% female
- Ranked among "Top 10 Undergraduate Business Schools" in 2016 by Bloomberg BusinessWeek
- Total tuition, room & board and fees: $63,000
- Applications are all read 3 times; top 10% of admitted students invited to Honors program
- 50 study abroad programs in 26 countries (nearly half of all students participate)
- NCAA D2 Women's Basketball Champs
- The Big 4 accounting firms have close ties to Bentley and grads are top picks
- Average first-year salary for grads: $53,000
- Notable alums include: Sprint President and CEO Marcelo Claure, Former Maine Governor and US Senator Frederick G. Payne, and Dallas Cowboy Mackenzy Bernadeau
Give us a call if you are interested in learning more about Bentley University.