For students wanting a traditional college campus experience with all the benefits of a big city, Texas Christian University (TCU) is worth a look. Located on 272 acres, TCU's safe, walkable campus has sprawling greens and beautiful buildings, all within 5 miles of downtown Fort Worth. The city maintains close ties with the college, and students take advantage of the social and academic opportunities such proximity offers. A full 67% of students intern before graduating, with even more students participating in the vibrant culture of the city, known for both art museums and stockyards.
Mandatory on-campus residence for freshman and sophomores fosters a close-knit community, which begins with an award-winning extended freshman orientation program called Frog Camp (unique travel and team-building experiences). With more than 240 clubs, free athletic events and annual surprise concerts, TCU has a bustling campus. 50% of students participate in sororities and fraternities (though few live in Greek housing), and the school is fiercely proud of its football team, which has been ranked in the top 15 for the last 5 years.
Don't let the social scene fool you, however: with a 37% acceptance rate, academics are the top priority of this private institution. With 7 colleges, including the highly-ranked Neely Business school, core academic programs are tailored to each student. An average class size of 27 with a a 13:1 student-to-faculty ratio offer students superior personal attention and access to professors. And while the price tag is hefty at approximately $56,000 (including room, board and fees), 83% of students receive aid of some sort. Scholarships are academic based, and applicants from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to build relationships with their admissions counselors (demonstrated interest matters here!).
- 9,000 undergraduate students and 2,000 graduate students
- 46% out of state (and growing!)
- 65% male, much higher than the average of 43% nationally
- Honors college: invitation only (no application process) from admissions application; top 7% incoming students selected)
- SAT mid-50% range: 1630-1930
- ACT mid-50% range act 25-30
- TCU has an annual budget of $400,000 for flowers on campus from the Mary Evans Beasley
- The school mascot - the horned frog - is one of the country's most distinctive mascots. When angered or frightened, horned frogs can squirt blood from their eyes.
- Notable alumni: CBS journalist Bob Schieffer, golfer Angela Stanford, actor Chris Klein, politician Eddie Bernice Johnson
If you'd like to learn more about Texas Christian University, please give us a call!